IS ESTROGEN DOMINATING YOU
Estrogen dominance is on the rise among menopausal women. Find out how you can get it under control.
It’s a hormone imbalance that often goes overlooked in typical blood test and can be related to issues such as weight gain, sleepless nights, sugar cravings, low energy, depression and insulin resistance post menopausal.
Does this sound like you?…..
Struggling to build muscle
Autoimmune conditions such as Hashimoto’s
Yeast and bacteria overgrowth such as Candida
These are some common characteristics when estrogen is dominating your body.
Estrogen takes hold when you least expect it.
My client Lisa is a perfect case in point.
For the majority of her adult life, she managed her body with the simple calories in versus calories out equation. When the scale started to tip, she simply cut back on her food intake and exercised more.
That was, until estrogen took control.
The older she got, the harder it became to manage her weight through diet and exercise, and one day it just stopped working all together. She actually started to gain weight despite her efforts.
We ran a hormone test to determine clues to her hormones and what was keeping her from losing weight.
Clue #1 – A possible genetic predisposition. Her mom had been diagnosed with the estrogen driven type of breast cancer called ER-2.
Clue #2 – A Dried Urine Test for Comprehensive Hormones (DUTCH) revealed estrogen metabolites (estrone and estradiol) were very high outside the functional range.
These values can not be seen on a blood test, so they can be routinely missed.
What is estrogen dominance?
For women, it’s commonly evaluated based upon the ratio of estrogen to progesterone, but as with men, it can also be evaluated when comparing testosterone to estrogen.
In general, when estrogen levels are relatively high to other hormones, it’s not good.
- Estrogen dominance was responsible for my 10 pound weight gain.
I couldn’t sleep through the night and had incredible mood swings and undiagnosed hypothyroidism- all because estrogen had taken over.
The good news is that estrogen dominance is preventable and reversible!
So how can you keep estrogen from getting out of control?
These toxins have the ability to mimic estrogen in the body or block hormone receptor sites resulting in elevated estrogen levels –
- Plastic food, water or other types of containers –
- Lotions, shampoos, conditioners, deodorant or other personal care products
- Metal substances such as as cadmium, lead, and mercury
- Non-organic foods containing pesticides or added hormones
- Tap water (yes, even though it’s deemed “safe”) contaminated with pesticides/toxins
- Intestinal parasites, bacteria and yeast that elevate toxic enzymes and trap estrogen
- Excess body fat that absorbs, stores and synthesizes estrogen
- Synthetic hormones found in hormone replacement therapies and/or birth control
- Water damaged buildings with mold growth
- Chronic mental or emotional stress
Eliminate risk factors by
- eating organic,
- drinking and cooking with only filtered water,
- properly addressing water leaks and mold
- taking time to meditate or de-stress daily.
- Swap out plastic containers for glass or stainless steel
- Look for personal care products with natural ingredients
2– Love your liver
Your liver plays a major role in getting rid of excess estrogen that might be circulating in the body. By supporting liver function, you can eliminate toxins you’ve been exposed to and excrete existing excess estrogen.
To support your liver, you can:
- ØTake a daily liver support supplement with nutrients such as milk thistle
- ØEat naturally detoxifying foods such as beets, grapefruits, lemons and dandelion greens
- ØOccasionally do castor oil liver packs, dry body brushing or an infrared sauna
- Do all of the above and give more power to your liver!
3- Eat and drink anti-estrogenic
Some of the best estrogen regulating foods to consume include:
If you suspect estrogen might be dominating you, and you want to get your hands on the right lab tests and resources to get it under control then book your free health discovery call here
I would love to support you in your health journey!